Monday, January 3, 2011

I surrender all!

Tonight was the first night of the pastors conference in Port au Prince. C.W.O. brought in the leaders and pastors of the eight churches who we are partnering with in ministry. It was very good to meet these men who are serving the Lord in another country. The language barrier is rough. I really need to get cracking on Creole. I found myself drawn to the guys who could speak English more than the others. It's normal, but I really want to develop relationships with all of them, not just the ones who have crossed the language barrier.

Dominic, who I will definitely write about later, led us in worship. Some of the songs I could recognize because the melody is the same as we sing in the US. We, or they rather, started singing I Surrender All:

All to Jesus I surrender;
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.

I surrender all,
I surrender all;
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.


All to Jesus I surrender;
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.

All to Jesus I surrender;
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.

All to Jesus I surrender;
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power;
Let Thy blessing fall on me.

All to Jesus I surrender;
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory, to His Name

Remember Rocky 4? When the Russian guy, Dolph Lungren, was coming out to fight Rocky? The stands, which were filled with Russians of course, started singing their national anthem. These guys sang with conviction, sincerity, enthusiasm and gusto. They sang in complete unison and they sang loud. It was intimidating. Even for a guy like Rocky!

Those Russians in that movie had nothing on these 30-some Haitian men singing I Surrender All. I thought the guy sitting next to me, Pastor Ischar, was going to go up like Enoch in the Bible. It was fantastic! I so wanted to step back and record it on my camera, but didn't for fear of being a distraction. What a blessing it was.

Now I want to be careful and intentional here when I talk about poverty. We are all poor, but in different ways. For many Americans there is poverty, just not of the economic sort. There is poverty of relationships with each other and poverty in our relationship with God to give two examples. These men, at least most of them, have pretty severe economic poverty. To hear them sing lyrics like the ones in I Surrender All added some real weightiness to the whole time. They, who we would say have almost nothing left to surrender are more than happy to give more and to give all. God is being greatly glorified in their lives because He truly is their complete satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment